Most of us in India do not adopt a planned approach to our retirement planning, and this often leads to much strife in our twilight years.
It involves the disciplined accumulation of a planned amount of money, by a specific target date. This money must be sufficient to provide you with an inflation-proof income that will comfortably outlast you, as well as your dependent partner. In addition, this fund must be sufficient to take care of medical emergencies, allow you to travel, as well as enjoy the free time you’ll have at hand once you hang up your work boots for good!
What’s driving the need for a solid retirement plan?
On average, lifespans in India are going up by 5 years every decade – and so is the risk of your outliving your savings.
Long term inflation in India has hovered around 6.5%. A soft drink now costs more than 15 times what it did when your parents were your age!
More than 70% of urban households now have only one couple. With joint families breaking down, one needs to be more retirement ready.
Retirement planning mistakes you could be making…
- Always postponing it for “a better time”
- Blindly purchasing low-yielding insurance polices for your retirement
- Saving only into fixed return instruments such as fixed deposits and ppf
- Occasionally drawing upon your retirement fund for short term “wants”
- Saving without a proper target in mind
- According it the lowest priority, compared to your other goals
- Ignoring it altogether!